Internship Seal Test rig – Wave Energy
Doing your Internship at CorPower Ocean you will be a part of a world class team, determined to make big impact. We are on a mission to bring reliable and competitive electricity from wave energy to the world. You will find a dynamic environment with highly motivated and skilled individuals. Having shown game-changing performance, expectations are high, and your work will be watched from around the world.
This internship is part of the VALID project with the purpose to develop new qualification methodologies based on physical-numerical hybrid testing. These methodologies can be used across the wave energy sector to accelerate the design steps and improve the reliability and survivability of components and subsystems that form Wave Energy Converters (WECs). Within the VALID project, CorPower Ocean specifically builds and demonstrates these methodologies applied on dynamic guiding and sealing systems.
Profile: We are looking for a hands-on student pursuing a master’s degree in a field related to Mechanical Engineering, with knowledge about Materials and Tribology Science. You have a good understanding of friction and wear mechanisms, functional testing, and more generally machine design. Out-of-the-box thinker with a creative mind and attention for details.
Technical field: Mechanical engineering, Tribology and Surface Engineering
When: Winter/Spring 2023, at least 4 months, preferably a few months longer
Collaborate with the Technical Project Manager and Mechanical Design Engineer to:
- Define and carry out a tribological testing program for dynamic sealing systems, from small lab tests to real life system monitoring
- Work on the upgrade and operation of an in-house test rig for qualification of dynamic sealing components
- Design, source and physically mount/dismount test equipment in the test rig
- Carry out the tests and post-process test data (friction curves, leakage monitoring, wear analysis, finding correlations)
- Analyze and interpret the results, find scientific explanations, and suggest design changes or further investigations to carry out
- Assist on documentation of the testing activities
As a person:
- you are striving for excellence, put quality into everything you do
- you are self-motivated and passionate about your technical area
- you always search for the most simple and elegant solutions to difficult problems
- you are persistent, knowing it takes stamina to reach ambitious goals
- you are data driven and strive to always back your points with a solid analysis
- you have good understanding of Tribology and have practical experience in the field